Known good USB Lexar 3.0 Card Readers are unstable / unusable

E

earlyvirginia

Environment is Lenovo P51 and P52 ThinkPad’s, Windows 10 Pro, Norton anti-virus, Malwarebytes, everything kept up to date, etc.

I routinely made weekly 100% clone backups to spare USB connected hard drives on the P51 and have continued that on the P52 so the USB ports & circuits work fine on both P51 & P52.

I also have a Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot card reader...only used it a couple times a month on the P51.

After upgrading my Lenovo P51 to its big brother P52, everything with the P52 has been working fine for several weeks, with the P51 resting in the safe...the only difference being that now the P52 has the latest Windows 10 cumulative update, which the retired P51 does not yet have.

Here's the issue:

I haven't had to use my Lexar USB Card Reader on the newer P52 until today and there's a strange problem...when I plug it in, it's unstable / unusable.

I can see the drive letter indication flashing on & off about every 5 seconds in Windows Explorer...and I see the same flashing activity in "Disk Management".

I broke out a brand new spare Lexar USB card reader to try it and it failed the same way.

I did the "driver update" checks in Device Manager and the latest drivers are installed.

And I also disabled / enabled the Lexar drives in Device Manager, but no help.

Finally I got out the retired P51 and tried both of the USB Lexar card readers in it, and they both worked perfectly...so it’s not a USB card reader device problem.

( and remember, the P52 USB ports & circuits work fine with USB connected hard drives )

So at this point, it might be that the main difference between all the above is that the P52 has the latest large Windows cumulative update on it that the older P51 does not yet have.

So I figured it was time for me to see if the Microsoft Brain Trust here might be able to help.

Thanks in advance for any known causes / fixes some of you might have.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom