Windows reporting incorrect storage usage after moving app/game from C: drive to external D: drive

P

Prysmic01

The subject about says it all. A while ago I wanted to install something to my main drive, but didn't have enough storage. So I decided to temporarily move Halo: MCC (like 115 GB give or take) to the external drive. It appeared successful as it had moved to the D: drive and it was playable and everything. Then I discovered that the space was not cleared up on C:. I ended up uninstalling it but even that didn't clear up space on the C: drive, only the D:.

I feel like I have tried everything. I have ran every troubleshooter I can think of for storage, I have had windows check for errors and scan the drive, I had minitool partition wizard scan it, I had windows run the trim thing, I emptied the recycle bin, I did everything and Windows continues to think everything is ok. There are no available updates for anything and I have tried dealing with restore points even though I don't have any to begin with.

If you look at the images, you can see that only 775 GB are ACTUALLY taken up while windows thinks that a lot more is. It also shows that games and apps ALONE takes up more than everything actually does.

I guess my question is, is there anything else at all that I can do about this? I love this PC, it is brand new with excellent hardware and a fast m.2 ssd as the C: drive. Any help at all is amazing. Do I have to somehow recover this game just so I can actually uninstall it? I would guess that's possible since it won't let anything overwrite that space. And where does windows look to calculate how much space apps and games takes up? I would assume the program files folders and appdata and maybe one or two more but I don't know. When I view their storage it is a lot less than windows reports.

I hope I can do something about this... Thank you to everyone who helps in advance!

9c3cf99a-13c2-440f-944c-edd788dd9187?upload=true.jpge9242a50-528b-44b6-95ec-a13bc2b2ab72?upload=true.jpg

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom