Problems searching for files using MS File Explorer? This may help...

B

bamahoop

BLUF: Enter this format in the search box: name:eek:rg+chart (where "org" and "chart" are parts of the filename)

Often Explorer cannot find files I know are in a folder, I can scroll and see them, search does not find them. I cannot find good guidance in answers.microsoft.com on how to use search. I have done some experimentation, and have found some useful info, but the threads on the topic are locked, usually without helpful responses. It seems like everyone gives up, the thread is locked, and someone at MS thinks "problem solved."

This is what I have found through trial and error:

a. First, to find only files (not content WITHIN files), in File Explorer, on the 'View' tab, Options/Change Folder and Search Options/Search tab, uncheck "Always search file names and contents...", and click 'Apply'.

b. To search for a file, type search terms into search box upper right in MS File Explorer.

Example of BEST APPROACH of what to enter: name:eek:rg+chart (where "org" and "chart" are parts of the filename you are looking for, ie, your search strings)

Should find only files and folders with BOTH terms in the file/folder name.

Use "+" to separate search terms to get Boolean .AND. eg. org+chart. Don't need quotes. Don't need wild cards (*) or spaces before "+". Will find filenames with org AND chart in the filenames, including "ABC organization chart.docx", "orgchart.xlsx", "ABCorgchart.pptx", "ABC Org Chart 2020.xlsx", etc. If you want to find files with EITHER term (Boolean .OR.), then use a space instead of "+", eg. name:eek:rg chart

Explorer will highlight found search terms in yellow in the results list.

A forum user suggested using name:~=org to find filenames with "org" in it, seems to do the same thing as just name:eek:rg, or even just org in the search box.

NOTE: Search may take several minutes, there is no indication when it is working or done (this is a serious problem in my opinion, how long should you stare at your screen wondering if the search is complete?). This may be because the the folder is not indexed, or it is re-indexing. (There are ways to force a re-index, but you need admin rights to do it, so if you're on a machine at work and don't have admin rights, not useful)

PROBLEMS: If you use spaces instead of "+" to connect terms, it will work but you more likely to get files where the term is NOT in the filename, but contents, DESPITE having unchecked the "...and contents..." box in options. Sometimes you will still get filenames without the search terms, even when using "+" and unchecking the box. In that case use "name:" in front of search terms. You will get filenames with only one of the search terms (Boolean .OR.), unless you use "+". The search function is in my experience inconsistent and unreliable (why MS, after 45 years of selling operating systems??), and useful correct guidance from MS is absent, so again for the best chance of good results use the format name:eek:rg+chart

Also, check your search Search Tools in the Search ribbon. AFTER YOU PUT YOUR CURSOR IN THE SEARCH BOX, the Search Tools tab will pop open, and you can modify the search by date, file size, current folder vs. subfolders, etc.

I've also seen this, a pale yellow banner at the top of the search window: "Your searches might be slow because the index is not running. click to turn on the index..." Go to Control Panel->Indexing Options, to verify and make sure it's on and indexing the folders you need. Seems if there are index issues, it will eventually find the files, but it takes several minutes, and it finds the most recent file, probably the one you're looking for, last.

Good luck, I hope this helps someone else as frustrated as me!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom