Boot up for Windows 10 clean install on Pavilion Dv6T takes 130 seconds

D

DrChristian

I have an HP Pavilion Dv6T that was originally supplied with Windows 7 that I replaced the platter drive with an SSD and clean installed Windows 10 Home. I made sure to delete all partitions on the SSD and had Windows set it up how it saw fit.

The OS installed with one "unknown device" that is listed as acpi_hal\pnp0c08\0

Each reboot from this fresh install is 130 seconds from the time the first MS logo appears until the time where I can enter the password. The delay is when the screen goes dark after the orbiting ring of dots disappears.

I installed the updates to bring it current to version 20H2. The interesting thing is, with each restart during the update, it seemed to boot normal. There was zero delay between the MS logos and the blue screen with the update status. After the updates finished, the delay returned.

Only in a safemode boot does it boot in seconds.

I tried a selective startup with as much disabled as I could but it does nothing to change the 130 second bootup time.

Given it boots quickly in safemode, I can safely conclude it is a driver or a service being loaded. Without going through the tedious task of rebooting after disabling each one---one by one----how can I narrow this down?

Continue reading...