Remote Login to Win10 Pro on non-domain private network

C

Clyde McKenney

On a private home network, I have a Windows 10 Pro PC runnng the latest dev channel build. There is no domain, i.e., no Windows Server on the network. The PC is in the WORKGROUP workgroup. When the PC was setup, my account (an administrator account) was created using my Microsoft account & password, and I created a device PIN. My c:\Users folder was created using the first 5 characters of my Microsoft account email address. I setup Remote Desktop in Settings/System to NOT require NLA access.

Now the simple question is: what username & password works in a Remote Desktop client, or other apps that offer remote access to my Win10 PC? I can’t figure it out.

All documentation says to use “Domain\username” or “username@domain” formats. Well, what THE HELL is that, in my (seemingly common) scenario? Microsoft doesn’t any advice here, and I followed all the defaults when setting up the PC, and I’m the administrator. Is the Domain WORKGROUP? Is it the PCname.local? Is my username the 5-character short name created for my users folder? Or is it my Microsoft account email address?

I’ve tried the iOS RDClient app, and a “File Explorer” iOS app, and all manner of combinations of login credentials, without success. I’m on the same home network router. I turned off the default NLA authentication requirement. I’ve tried all of the above with the PC’s IP4 address. Please advise.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom