Windows 10 Pro Will Not Install on New SSD (Not a Clone)

A

AncientSpice

My old Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB was running out of space, even though I only use it for software while a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB is used for files. I bought a Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB and replaced the old one. NOTE: I did NOT clone the drive as I a) didn't know I could/had to and b) didn't see the need since I'm just going to reinstall software anyway.

I put the USB drive I got with Windows 10 Pro and booted the machine. I chose Windows Setup (64-bit). It took for ever to load the files, but when it finally finished (more than 30 minutes), Windows Boot Manager says:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
  2. Choose your language settings, and then click 'Next.'
  3. Click 'Repair your computer.'

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: The application or operation system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."

I don't have a disc and I only have the USB thumb drive that came with Windows 10 Pro on it. I've tried rebooting, but I just end up going back to this screen no matter if I choose 64-bit or 32-bit. Pressing F8 for advanced options just gives the same error response. NOTE: this is on a black screen, not the BSoD. I never got to the point where I could enter in any information, including the product key.

I also thought perhaps it was trying to boot or install on the Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB which never had it installed. I rebooted and hit the DEL button so I could go into the BIOS and make sure it was not in the boot sequence at all, let alone second priority.

I've owned this copy of Windows 10 Pro since 2018 and I've not had an issue (or a need to use it after initial install) until today. I'm close to putting the old SSD back in just so I have a working computer, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix this problem.

Continue reading...