Desktop turns black with no icons after second screen plugged in, screen flickering, taskbar VISIBLE and works fine

K

Kayla Flores

My problem started about a month ago, and it keeps getting worse. Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel i3-8350K 4GHz

Ram: 16GB, Ripjaws,

GPU: Radeon RX 580 (Currently on latest driver)

So as the title implies, when I plug in my second screen, my Wacom Cintiq, my main monitor's desktop turns black and the icons vanish. I can use it like normal besides that, it works well. The second screen behaves too, both perform fine. I have to restart my PC completely to get my desktop back, however. And the desktop doesn't always vanish either. The second issue is that sometimes my main display will seemingly turn off completely, even without the second screen plugged in. I could simply be on my browser, or I could be playing a game.

I attempted to contact AMD tech support, thinking it was a GPU issue since it seemed like it, but their solutions were to install and reinstall my drivers, either in safe mode or in a clean boot state. Nothing has seemed to help, and unfortunately, it's not like my problem is constant, but it happens about every day now. I also tried "stress-testing" my GPU to see its performance during heavy gameplay, with high graphics and under full load. The highest temperature it reached was 68C, which is optimal under full load. I'm at a loss here, and the last time my screen flickered it was for a good ten seconds before I could see my screen again, and it looked like it flashed green afterward as well.

What can I do?

Continue reading...