Windows 10 Home suddenly thinks my license is illegitimate

A

Azugo

Hi,

As of yesterday I've been experiencing a problem where my Windows 10 Home installation thinks my license isn't genuine. It started displaying the 'Activate Windows' watermark in the lower-right of my display, leading me to the activation menu in my settings. However, upon trying to re-enter my 25-character product key (a Windows 7 Home Premium which I've owned for 7-8 years and upgraded to Windows 10 during the free period), it throws up an error: the product key you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. (0xc0020036). This happens every time.

I can't troubleshoot my activation because it throws up the same error code: something prevented us from communicating with our activation servers. Wait a few minutes and then try again. (0xc0020036). This happens every time.

I've tried the sfc /scannow command in the command prompt, and it said it solved a few corruption issues but it didn't fix my problem.

I can't enter any slmgr command because again, it throws up the same error code: 0xc0020036 On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xc0020036' to display the error text.

Upon attempting to run said slui.exe, it throws up the same error code: (0xc0020036).

I've run LicensingDiag.ps1with powershell and it created a text file which I can provide if needed.

It may be worth noting that I recently built a new desktop in mid-December after my old one broke down. I wasn't able to unregister my license from that PC and I used the same license to activate on this one, which has worked fine up until now, although I'm unsure if that's connected to my problem in any way.

Thanks for any help~

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom