BSOD - 10.0.19042 Update after cold boot

J

jerzdabearz

Hi guys,

I'm very new to understanding Windows language and ultimately what's causing this BSOD error. I've scoured these (and other) forums to find answers or a guide, but I'm still finding myself without much knowledge, which is on me. I've decided to reach out here to see if I can get any more guidance.

Problem:

BSOD - The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (more details to follow)

This happens once a day within about 5 minutes of booting up in the morning. This will happen regardless of whether I log in or not. The PC restarts on its own after a few moments and then I'm good to go for the rest of the day. No more BSOD until I shut down and boot back up the next day.

Specs:

Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z390-A

BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 1704, 9/21/2020

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR48x4 > total of 32 GB RAM

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

GPU Driver: GeForce Game Ready Driver 461.40

Troubleshooting:

-Reviewed Reliability History > consistently 4 critical events as follows:

a). DTSAPO3Service.exe --> stopped working

b). Windows was not properly shut down

c). Windows stopped working --> The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff8046be250e4, 0xfffff90c932373b8, 0xfffff90c93236bf0). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: a5ed50f8-905b-4f71-b83f-3b71b35fd365.

d). Windows shut down unexpectedly

-Installed WinDbg and attempted to understand the MEMORY.DMP files > the Module/Image name has changed from ntkrnlmp.exe (x3 .DMPs) to cfosspeed6.sys (x1 .DMP), seems to change about

-Followed Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files to the tee and completed verification with "did not find any integrity violations."

-Followed Driver Verifier-- tracking down a mis-behaving driver. to the tee and confirmed it was running as expected, however I could not identify what was causing the issue (user error I'm sure)

-Rebooted to Safe boot and could not reproduce the problem

-While in Safe boot, decided to uninstall DTS Service (looks like an audio driver) from "Add/Remove Programs" and unchecked the service from System Configuration Services > this caused the PC to fail startup and forced itself into recovery mode; I chose the auto repair option which reinstalled DTS and re-enabled the service, so I guess that was a mistake

Question:

Can anyone help me understand what my .DMP means and how to use this (or anything else) to track down the root problem?

Here's a folder of MSInfo + the latest full .DMP as of this morning > BSOD Attachments - Google Drive

EDIT:

So I didn't check this before this post, but I decided to do the EZ Flash Utility on my MOBO and found out I was behind on the MOBO version. I had updated to the September build but hadn't checked in these past few months. So I am now officially running ASUS PRIME Z390-A v. 1802 (12/2020). I booted up as I normally would and so far, no BSOD. I'll report back here with a new edit should I still be experiencing the problems (with a new .DMP).

Continue reading...