Windows 10 20H2 wakes from sleep with 30 - 80% CPU Usage

S

Scott Frank Frame

Hello,

I wanted to make you aware of an issue that I have seen replicated on other forums, most notably the Levano forum.

I have a Dell Precision 7750, 8-core Xeon 10885M with 128GB Ram and 9TB storage (4TB Sabrent, 2TB Evo 970 Plus x 2, 1TB Dell Class 50), and Nvidia RTX 4000 running Windows for Workstations Pro.

So, basically, myself and other users have noticed a bug in Windows that is caused by placing the system into sleep mode. Upon waking, the CPU usage under System runs anywhere from 30 - 80% of the CPU. When tracing using Windows Performance Tool, it appears the culprit is usbvideo.sys for all of us. We also noticed that this was a issue with previous Windows versions, however those caused BSOD's.

Before you ask, all my drivers are 100% up to date and my BIOS is 100% up to date. Several people have reformatted and the issue did not go away, I personally did not but I am not able to reformat and have to download every work-related application on my system for something I know will not fix it. i have conducted checks on all my exernal devices, did a memtest for the memory, tested each HD, tested the CPU, tested my m2 drives, and tested my GPU. None of the hardware reports any issue and my system runs blazing fast outside of this issue.

The current workaround is to either a) disable Sleep mode altogether or just not use it and change it from being automatic in the power settings. There must not be a "fix" for this at this point because all of the above suggestions have been unfruitful, but I would like to make it known this is an issue and hopefully something you can work on fixing for the next update. It does seem a little ridiculous that years are going to fall off my laptop because I can't use as simple a function as sleep, and yes i know I can just power it down but I keep my laptop running in clamshell mode, and as easy as it is to just take it off the rack and turn if off and on, that's something that shouldn't be told to the consumer when you have an expensive workstation.

Anyway, if you need anything from me to help you test the issue, please let me know.

Continue reading...