deja vu all over again | Windows 10 (home) update -> error code (0x800700d)

P

paul_scores

So, have largely been 'problem free' with Windows 10, and on the majority of my machines (all 5 of those running WIndows - the rest GNU/Linux) recent updates were all downloaded and installed without a problem.

Except on my relatively new Acer Swift 3 (AMD processor) laptop. Winver shows Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.630).

Tried to download and install latest update (KB4601319). Failed with the dreaded 'Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x8007000d)'. It 'seems' to fail right at the end -- gets to '100% installing', and then throws the 0x8007000d error.

After first saying 'Stupid update system -- why don't you tell us what files are missing or have problems, rather than this silly message' (serious - this sort of error message is like a doctor telling you you're sick', with no indication how or why)', suck it up, and went through all the usual steps:

1\ sfc /scannow --> no problems

2\ DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth --> no problems

3\ try DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth anyway --> no problems

4\ trying manually resetting and registering all the Windows update components (here is the minimalist version of what I tried) --> made no difference.

attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2

attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*

net stop wuauserv

net stop CryptSvc

net stop BITS

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old

ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old

net Start BITS

net start CryptSvc

net start wuauserv

Basically, nada in terms of success (tried scans for registry errors, disk errors, tried turning off anti-virus). Even download the update and tried a manual install -- no difference. Confirmed that ever single possible driver on the machine is updated, using only vendor released stable versions. Makes no difference.

So, now what? Reset Windows? In place upgrade? The former is beyond Draconian (i.e., stupid -- no better than 'format C and re-install'), whereas the latter...only option left?

Seriously, while updates in Windows 10 have been far more stable (IMO) than Windows 7, the fact that the error messages are completely uninformative is a real PITA. When something fails on my GNU/Linux machines (rarely, but it does happen), I usually get copious messages which allow me to work out what I need to do ('oh, that glibc is missing -- OK, I'll install and try again'). But with Windows? Seriously -- MS, why don't you tell us whats 'missing or damaged'?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom