Windows 10 wireless connection to HP printer suddenly failed and cannot be re-established

S

Steve S34

My wireless connection to my HP Photosmart 6510 printer suddenly stopped working from Lenovo ideapad 320 running Windows 10 v 1909. The printer is connected to my network with correct network name, IP and MAC address showing in its display (and I have disconnected and reconnected it successfully several times). Also, as a test, I successfully connected an old PC running Vista to the same printer via a wireless connection just fine, so the issue is not the printer or router or network. I have tried reconnecting the printer to the Windows 10 laptop but it cannot even find the printer. (I can connect the same printer with a USB cable and use it to print or scan without any problem). I tried the network adaptor and got the message "your computer appears to be connected correctly but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding". The only other possibly issue is that sometime before this wireless printer stopped working there was a short 3-4 minute internet outage that recovered as quickly and suddenly as it occurred. After this short outage everything worked including wireless internet connections and the old PC printer connection, but not the Windows 10 wireless printer connection. I am not sure if the two events are related

I have been in contact with Microsoft for the last 8 hours and with five different assistants. They have all gone through pretty much the same routines, in some cases multiple times, but do not understand the root cause and cannot resolve the issue. This includes loading a previous version network driver, doing an in-place Windows 10 upgrade, reloading to an earlier version of Windows 10, and trying to connect from a different user profile. None of these worked. Microsoft seem unable to understand or solve this - has anyone else had the same problem or have any idea how to solve the problem. It seems pretty basic- I just want a wireless printer connection, but I am not a techy with degree in computing so would struggle with anything complex in the bowels of the system. It's of significant concern that such a basic piece of functionality should suddenly fail so badly without explanation.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom