Icons disappearing in Windows 10 Search Box results after a while

D

DrNic

Can anyone please advise on this? It's a strange issue with the Search Box (and don't get me started on how utterly hopeless I find Windows 10's search facility compared to WIndows 7).

Briefly, when I start up my PC, search box suggests things correctly with appropriate icons for file folders, mp3, PDF, rar archives etc. However, after a while (anything from a couple of hours to a day or so), it seems to somehow lose the connection between search results and the corresponding icons, returning only blank gray squares (see screenshot below). This means I can't tell what each file type is (or, indeed, if it's a file or a folder) unless I right click and investigate, and it's extremely frustrating and time-consuming. If I reboot, everything works again, then some time later, it reverts to being blank squares.

This is what it's like when I first boot up: (Observe the search results - icons for folder, PDF, Word and mp3 all present and correct)

07ec7c49-9390-4cb2-8dd1-34753d6671ae?upload=true.png

Then it reverts to this after a few hours -

abe2a8e2-afe2-461f-a1c8-e023810dc993?upload=true.png

The icons for apps seem to be ok - it's just file and folder icons which seem to disappear.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but there's also, I've just noticed, often a line of blue dots or dashes moving across the top of the open search box (ie just above "All Apps Documents" etc) , as if it's processing something - does this mean it's searching for something even when I haven't put a term in?

The icons seem a little slow to appear even when everything's working normally.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to remedy this, I'd be grateful. I'm reasonably confident altering registry items (I'm not sure if it's relevant, but you might be able to see that I've disabled Quick Searches in the search box by altering the DisableSearchBoxSuggestions). Is there any chance this could be responsible for causing this issue? I also notice that when you renable QUick Searches, the options to search "Photos" and "More" in the search box disappear - I find both of these extremely useful, so am unsure as to why are they removed when QuickSearch is enabled (the default). I really don't get why Microsoft make it so difficult to customise things...

As I've said, any advice and solutions anyone might have would be welcome. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I see from a search that some folk have issues with their desktop icons disappearing, or the app icons disappearing from search, and that rebuilding the icon cache has helped, but that's not quite the issue I've having. I've tried both the setting the display to 125% thing suggested in one answer, and the "Save taskbar thumbnail previews" from another, and neither have helped. I don't want to mess with the icon cache if it's not likely to be that causing it.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom