Restoration of Windows 10 System Image failed etc.

W

WingWong2

My version of Windows 10 Pro 64bit 10.0.19042 Build 19042. Did a system image backup to restore it to a brand new 1TB HDD. When the restoration was near finish I got the message that the restoration failed with the error code 0x80070057. The system repair disk I used was created on the same PC immediately after finishing the image backup.

I thought perhaps doing a sfc /scannow will correct the situation. It didn't work. I got the error message “Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation”. Same error message when I tried doing it in safe mode.

Similarly, I tried DISM. I got the error message “The WOF driver encountered a corruption in the compressed file's Resource Table."
Next stop, I did a CHKDISK with the parameters /f /r /x. Chkdsk completed but no information on the state of the files checked. I thought I could use a Windows 10 installation media to repair any corrupt files. Down loaded the latest ISO file using Media Creation Tool and burnt it on a dual layer DVD media. I booted from the newly created DVD media and selected Repair Your Computer/Advance Options/Command Prompt. From CMD I tried to run SFC offline in the same PC and on another PC with the following syntax:

Sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\windows where X is either C: or F: where the drive letter where Windows10 in installed.

Same error message “Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation”.

As a last resort, I tried to repair Windows using the installation media that I used above. I did a in place installation without losing my data and apps. I had previously tried upgrading this PC online but I got the same result as doing a in place installation. On both occasions everything went well only when the updating process had completed I have the message “ Undoing changes made to your computer”. My PC rebooted to one as before the update with the message “The installation failed in the Second_Boot phase with an error during PRE_OOBE operation” with the error code 0x80070428-0x4001E. So, what was going on ?

I had explored every avenue for the last 4 days but nothing seems to work.

Continue reading...