Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7... no audio

T

tbone7281

I'm sure this has been brought up a million times before, since I feel like I've poured through all of those threads looking for an answer. But here I am so you can guess how much success I had...

I built this computer myself so if there is a specific question on a part, let me know. Otherwise "what kind of computer do you have" isn't really a valid question in my instance. Motherboard is: MSI A88X-G45

Device Manager shows AMD High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio. Both are enabled, up to date and working fine, according to Windows.

The drivers say up to date and I've tried re-installing them for fun.

The Services (Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder) are set to Automatic and are running. I've also tried restarting them.

I've run the Windows Troubleshooter for Audio Playback. This did not fix anything but does note at the end "Problems found: Audio services not responding: Not fixed."

I've turned off all Audio Enhancements. I've turned off "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device." I've tried all the possible "Default Format" options from CD Quality through Studio Quality. <-- Of note here, clicking "Test" for any of these results in an error: "Failed to play test tone."

Something else... in addition to there being no sound from the speakers, I can't get any sound from the headphone jack either.

Edit: Thought of a few other things:

• If I open up the Volume Mixer, there are never any items in the Applications section no matter what I have open.
  • I mentioned above that headphones don't work either. But I forgot to say that plugging them into the headphone jack doesn't do anything. (As in, headphones aren't recognized as being a thing.)

Anyway, I may have tried some other things that I'm forgetting but I'm very open to suggestions.

TIA,

Tony

Continue reading...