KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED BSoD on boot, but boots fine after auto restart, and file history doesn't work. After swapping OS/Boot drive.

T

TheRC

I changed my boot drive from a 250 GB to 1 TB NVME SSD by imaging the 250GB, then writing that image to the 1TB drive and expanding the local disk partition. It works fine except for Windows backup the BSoD issue.

The BSoD issue: When I boot up and get past POST when Windows is initializing (I think) the loading icon freezes and I get a BSoD for KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED with nothing after that. The computer restarts itself, and then it boots up just fine. The dump (pasted below) says it's caused by ntoskrnl.exe . I've tried everything I could find online (memcheck, partial ram isntalled, dskchk, boot record checks, I just reinstalled windows, and more) all to no avail. I can't find any cases online where it BSoDs like that and then boots up just fine after auto restart. Both my old and new boot/OS NVME drives cause this issue now so I'm decently sure it's not the drive causing this.

The backup (file history) issue: I also can't do windows backup (file history) through settings. I've checked that the essential services for backups are set correctly (they weren't a couple days ago but are now) but it still won't work. The disk image backup type works but the file history doesn't work. I select the folders I want backed up, the backup size is shown as 0 bytes, and when I start the backup it runs for a little bit (seconds to a couple mins) and then stops, no error message.

MINIDUMP:

==================================================

Dump File : 021921-13828-01.dmp

Crash Time : 2/19/2021 9:45:50 AM

Bug Check String : KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Bug Check Code : 0x0000001e

Parameter 1 : ffffffff`c0000005

Parameter 2 : fffff804`51fbe0ac

Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000

Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000

Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe

Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+3f5a80

File Description :

Product Name :

Company :

File Version :

Processor : x64

Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+3f5a80

Stack Address 1 :

Stack Address 2 :

Stack Address 3 :

Computer Name :

Full Path : C:\DUMP\021921-13828-01.dmp

Processors Count : 8

Major Version : 15

Minor Version : 19041

Dump File Size : 836,084

Dump File Time : 2/19/2021 9:46:52 AM

==================================================

PC Specs:

ASUS Z-170A Motherboard

intel i7-6700k (not overclocked)

ASUS STRIX RTX 2070 OC (not overclocked beyond factory)

16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX

Old Boot/OS drive was WD Black NVME SSD 250GB

New Boot/OS drive is Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Other storage 2xSamsung EVO SSDs and a 1TB WB Blue HDD

Backup drive is a 3TB WB external drive

Windows 10 Pro

EDIT: I just went into the room with said PC and it's now in a BSoD boot loop with KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED as the cause. It also can't boot into the repair thing, the BSoD happens.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom