Dragging with right click gesture for touchpad using windows precision drivers

K

Krischal Khanal

I am using a normal laptop with standard touchpad with windows precision drivers.

Today, most of the laptop touchpad use windows precision drivers, and are mostly gesture controlled. While we have many features like zooming in and out, rotating clock and anti clock wise and three fingers and four fingers gestures like swiping and tapping, certain of the core functionality appears to be absent. Just because very few people use it doesn't mean that feature is not important.

The features are dragging with right click and middle click. There are many applications, and windows interface features that support dragging with right click, and some applications including many games that support middle click and drag, and used as a separate functionality. With those features absent in your touchpad drivers, and without a mouse laying around nearby, you are left completely incapable to perform those actions in your laptop.

Dragging with right click is very easy if you are using mouse, you just right click and hold, and start moving cursor. But for touchpad based systems, whole touchpad is a click button, it is very tedious to click on the right bottom corner, and keep pressing while moving cursor to perform the action.

For left and right click, we use one finger tap and two finger tap gesture respectively. And for left click drag, we double one finger tap and drag or in other words, we perform left click gesture and move the cursor within very short time of left click with one finger tap, in order to drag with left click.

What seems to be absent is the same feature (dragging) with right click and even middle click.

Now, I would like to present the solution, that I think some of the people have already come up with. I think, in order to be able to perform dragging with right click in touchpad with gesture, the gesture should be two finger tap immediately followed by moving the cursor using a single finger. Similarly for dragging with middle click, three finger tap immediately followed by moving the cursor using a single finger could also be applied.

Now if there is some problem while applying this, then single finger movement after the respective taps, can be replaced by sliding on the touchpad with same number of fingers that is used for tapping.

I know this absence is felt by many people and are waiting for a similar solution to this. I hope someone that is capable of solving this at Microsoft reads this discussion and solve this problem. Hope for the best.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom