Unable to open regedit or exefiles due to user error, unsure of how to fix if even possible.

T

tinypapertiger

OK so I messed up playing with my regedit files trying to reset it back to the default settings and I believe I locked myself out completely. Asking for help here before I try to just reset my PC/windows completely from scratch.

So, I was having issues opening an exe file and went to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>exefile>shell>open>command area and changed settings to “%1” %* in an attempt to fix the exe file that wouldn't open. This didn't work so I went back in that folder and cleared out the “%1” %*'s I put in, reset the system and now I can't open exe files or the regedit.

How To Fix: Can't Open Exe Files In Windows 10 [Complete Fixes] (pcerror-fix.com) is the page of stuff I was following, basically the places it told me to edit, I did, and after the issue wasn't fixed, I went back in and just cleared those areas like an idiot and got myself locked out of everything lol.

If I try to open regedit or command prompt or anything like that I am greeted with an error message labeled: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page."

Next, I follow directions of what to do if I can't open regedit on this page: Error Accessing the Registry [Fixed by experts] (windowsreport.com)

And I'm basically down to the step where it's gonna have me reinstall windows (would be funny if that also didn't work lol). If there's anything else I can try before this please let me know, thanks!

Continue reading...