W10 Upgrade (from W7) sticks on logo - error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017, installation failed in the SAFE-OS phase with an error during BOOT

• Thread starter JustTryingToHelpSomeone
  • Start date
J

JustTryingToHelpSomeone

Hi, I am trying to help an elderly friend upgrade his old W7 desktop to W10.
Having checked the specs against requirements I thought it would bee straight forward. But now I don't know what else to try.
can you please help? I have read as many posts as possible, and followed the advice as much as I can.
But the pc always sticks at a W10 Logo, no circling dots....

Given what I have tried - see below - I am wondering if I boot straight into DOS and load from there (which it suggests I can, although everything else I have tried has failed so I don't really know) will I have a licensing issue.
My friend is elderly, and I am unsure as to his financial situation.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received. Thankyou in advance. oh, and I did create a System Image prior to all of this.. .:)
So...

W7 Home, on a DELL Optiplex GX620;
6GB RAM,
400+Gb free disk space.

NB the Windows update program stated no updates installed since 2018
NB if run Updates manually it kept installing 5 updates (others have had this issue) , but they do not appear in the Update History.

Upgrading

If I try upgrade from that pc directly, using media creation tool upgrade this pc,
after sticking on logo for aaaages, and therefore I cancell by a reboot, it tells me
We couldn't install Windows 10
we've set your pc back. .. blah blah blah
Error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE-OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

I have tried with USB and ISO CD created via Media Creation tool to upgrade another pc.

Tried fixing Windows Updates - unsuccessful
stopped Windows Update Service and deleted folder c\software distribution.
Followed instruction to download and manually install KB updates, none of which were applicable to my pc.

Also have:-
removed all external devices bar the USB for upgrade and Ethernet for internet
uninstalled Norton
uninstalled MS security essentials
ran malwarebytes - nothing.
running a clean boot & stopped other start up programs
ran disk check - ok
ran windows memory check - ok
updated ALL drivers manually (no wifi or Bluetooth, its an old desktop) with windows "utility".

reset BIOS to default settings.

disk clean up

deleted software update folders ?BT ? & something else.

tried UPGRADE again
Accept T&Cs
choose what to keep - NOTHING...
asks to conform choice!

Installing Windows 10... but after a reboot it is now stuck on the W10 logo, no circling dots...

Help... please....

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom