Storage spaces Mirrored drives inaccessable

L

LarsTomasson

I have two 8GB drives in a mirrored storage space. It was working fine but now the storage space is inaccessible and is not visible when I go into 'Disk Management'. When I go into 'Manage Storage Spaces' it shows an error on one drive and says "Error, consider replacing". Strangely it shows both drives as having the same serial number and doesn't specify the SATA connection so I don't know which one has failed. I disconnected one, and then the other drive appeared and I was able to access my data. I shut down the system, and connected the other drive and disconnected the first, and on reboot the other drive appeared and I could access my data. So it seems both drives work when connected separately, but not when connected together.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

My recovery plan is to copy all the data on one drive over to another location, and then do the same with the other drive in case they are not synched. Then delete the storage pool and wipe both drives. then do drive diagnostics to determine if either of the drives is bad. Finally I will create a mirror in Disk Management and not use Storage Spaces any more as it seems unreliable, overly complex, and gives poor debug information.

Does this seem like a reasonable recovery plan?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom