Signing into Windows 10 with a Gmail account --> been sent too many codes!

S

Sir_Timbit

HI there, this is a new problem for me anyway.

It's never occurred to me that Windows 10 would let you log in *to Windows* using your Gmail credentials...

Here's the situation: A friend of mine bought a new Lenovo laptop recently. During the initial setup, Windows prompts you to create an account, as always. For some reason she entered her Gmail account as the account to use to sign into Windows. Now hearing about this afterward, I didn't think that would work. I know Microsoft will let you sign into Windows with a Microsoft account (Hotmail/Outlook/Live etc) or a local account, but I'd never heard of it letting you log in with a Gmail account. Anyway, that works, and I've since read that it is possible to do this. This is not related to the Google authenticator app that is out there. She's not using that.

Now, I think she also has a MS Office 365 account from her school that may be linked into all this.

The problem? Whenever she tries to sign into Windows on her laptop, she has to sign into Gmail (on another device presumably) and request a code. The code would be emailed to her, she'd type it in, and then she could log into Windows and start using her laptop. Now, however, she's getting the message that she's been sent too many codes, so she can't sign into Windows 10, access her desktop etc.

I've never heard about this before and my searches aren't turning up much. I'm hoping if she tries to sign in again tomorrow, it will let her. If so, I suggested she create a local account in Windows and avoid all this nonsense. I wouldn't ever want my ability to sign onto my Win10 laptop depend on an online service. If all else fails, since she's only had the laptop for a few days, I might suggest booting to the restore partition to reset the laptop to factory condition and start over with a local account.

Anyone else see this, and how to fix? Have the Gmail and school-based Microsoft accounts been linked together somehow and are causing problems?

Thanks for any advice!

Sir_Timbit

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom