Slow Ethernet Speed

A

Arman Da

My computer is getting slower internet speeds on the same network as other computers. When running a speed test on my laptop on speedtest.net it shows download speeds of 500+ Mbps on the ethernet cable. Now taking that same ethernet cable and plugging it into my desktop I am only getting internet speeds of 250 Mbps so it is not the cable or the router. The motherboard is an "MSI Z490-A Pro" (gaming) and the Ethernet is "Realtek PCIe FE / GBE / 2.5G / Gaming Ethernet Family Controller" so it should support up to a gigabit network connection which is far above what I am getting. I have checked to make sure all the drivers are installed and updated to the latest versions but this did not help. In the driver network properties, speed and duplex is set to Auto-negotiation, I have also tried setting it to 1.0 Gbps full-duplex but this did not help so I changed it back to auto. I also have flow control set to Rx & Tx Enabled. When running the tests no programs were using the network in any major way. I have tested the network on both the speedtest by ookla app, I have tested on their website, and I have tested on the spectrum site using the ookla test. Motherboard bios is also updated to the latest version.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom