I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB

D

DBum1015

Hi! On Thursday, I bought a New SK Hynix 1 TB Hard Drive, figuring I'd upgrade my 3 year old Dell Inspiron 3567 laptop that understandably is slowing down over time. So I downloaded Macrium Reflect Free edition and connected my SSD via SATA to USB 3.0 cable to the USB 3.0 port on my laptop. The SSD is recognized under Device Manager as "JMicron Generic SCSI Disk Device" (Screenshot below).

5b3cd049-0648-4f5e-a080-84bab79fe6c2?upload=true.png

And looking at that drive in Disk Management after the cloning software finished the cloning process, everything looks the same from HDD to SSD. Disk 0 being the HDD that's currently in my laptop, and Disk 2 that's the USB connected SSD. (See Below)

167dc593-a20a-4bc8-bbdd-b5305cb4d232?upload=true.png

All well and good right? Well I went into my system BIOS for my computer after the Macrium software finished the clone to modify the boot order to boot from the Cloned SSD Drive, but when Windows tries to boot from that, the loading circle would just go around for a bit, but then the circle would stop mid-spin and just freeze. This doesn't happen with my current HDD, because when I disconnect the SSD from the USB port from the laptop, it boots into windows just fine, although slow as I originally stated. I even went as far as rebuilding the 1st partition of the SSD with the DISKPART command in CMD, and rebuilt BCD for the drive successfully but to no avail. What else should I try to successfully boot from the SSD via USB, because I don't want to put the new drive in the laptop until I know for sure it boots up correctly. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sincerely,

Dustin

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom