Multiple display configurations (or why win+P options suck and what should be done with it)

• Thread starter SomeoneSomewhereSummertime
  • Start date
S

SomeoneSomewhereSummertime

First of all, I will kindly ask any MS representative to refrain from suggesting anything that is visible under Display settings, _especially_ the Make this my main display option, or to update my device drivers, since I have seen these as regular suggestions in similar discussions. Those are _NOT_ the answers.

I have a three monitor setup where I want one monitor - the one that my GPU considers primary, i.e. the one where BIOS is shown on boot - to be treated by Windows as the primary too, and the other two monitors to be disabled most of the time.

However, Windows 10 enumerates the monitors exactly opposite to the GPU - the BIOS monitor is considered as Display 3 by Windows - so any controls by Win+P options are not really working great, since Windows considers Display 1 as "PC screen only". Win+P doesn't seem to like Display 2 at all, and the only saving grace is that the option "Second screen only" is, luckily, the actual main monitor, i.e. Display 3 (or main display for GPU).

In addition, while Windows 10 does seem quite capable of remembering monitor configurations, enabling/disabling monitors makes it forget various related parameters, e.g. resolution and orientation.

Basically, Windows project should have the following options:
1. Extend to + each display/all displays (i.e. the number of extend options is equal to the number of additional displays that are disabled or duplicated + 1 - or no extend options if all the displays are already extended to)

2. Duplicate to + each display/all displays (i.e. the number of duplicate options is equal to the number of additional displays that are disabled or extended + 1 - if all the displays are already duplicated to)

3. Display on (each display) only (i.e. the number of display options is equal to the number of displays)

In addition, each displays should be clearly labeled based on which monitors Windows see as attached, with clearly marked main monitor.

In addition, enabling/disabling displays should mean that the Windows reverts to their last layout (resolution/orientation/etc.).

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom