Can I have some help understanding Recovering Windows 10 from System Image?

J

Jeff A. Davis

I've got some freeware or maybe you’d call it a full-version, unlimited trial version, Macrium Reflect, that can make a disk image of everything that's on my C: (which is a 110 GB SSD that has 72 GB Used), which is just Windows 10 (fully updated daily) and any programs that I've purchased or gotten free. I think that Macrium Reflect can save the disk image onto a thumbdrive or maybe even onto an internal D: (931 GB with only 62 GB Used) HDD that is where I store my data.

I added the SSD inside that is connected with a SATA cable with help by someone in one of my Questions here in Hardware (Greg Carmack?) and then started adding Windows 10 Fall Creators Edition & my programs. He walked me thru it. I’d never worked inside a computer.

Macrium Reflect has a forum but you can only access it if you've bought at least their $59 Home version but they're glad to give out freeware. I've actually had it for years on my old computer but even though I had it make a disk image on a schedule, I've never run it on my newest Dell Inspirion 3847 64-bit desktop. I sure wish I knew more than I do. I'm a closet geek wanna-be.

I've read that if I have a booting failure since maybe something bad happened physically to the SSD or it got corrupted, I could just put a bootable DVD or thumbdrive of the latest Windows 10 that I've made with Media Creation Tool (I do have both devices set to be the first 2 in the boot order anyhow in my BIOS), and instead of installing, select to Recover from a System Image in the bottom-left.

This is what I read exactly:

1. Plug the Bootable Windows 10 USB Drive into your computer and Press the Power button to start your computer.

NOTE: You may have to Enable USB Boot in BIOS, if your computer is not booting up from USB Drive. (my Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop is already set to boot first on either a DVD or USB thumbdrive)

2. Once your computer boots, click on Repair this computer option located at the bottom left corner of the screen.

3. Navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced options and click on System Image Recovery.

4. Wait for your Computer to Restart and start the process of preparing System Image Recovery

5. When prompted, select your User Account, Enter Password and click on Continue.

6. On the next screen, make sure the latest System Image is selected and click on Next.

7. Click on the Finish button to Restore your computer from the selected System Image Backup.

So, my question after all that explaining is finally, can the Windows 10 media only Recover from a System Image if it is on a USB thumbdrive or DVD, or can I point it at the disk image that's stored on my internal HDD?

I'm just trying to learn what I can to make sure I'm doing things right in case something bad happens. Any help I get here is much appreciated and if you could teach me this little bit rather than just giving me links where I can teach myself, that would be the best.

Also, is there anything else that I should know?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom