Speech Recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported

L

lorenschmidt

i am attempting to use speech to text for accessibility reasons. i am primarily interested in dictation. i could not find a current thread on this topic, but i have followed the instructions in several older threads in case any of them were useful, but i appear to have configured everything correctly and the problem persists.

when i attempt to toggle the "Turn on Speech Recognition" feature from the Speech settings, i receive the following error.
"Speech Recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported" (attached picture 1)

i have verified that i have the language settings set to English (United States) for all system functionality, and the Language settings indicate that English (United States) language is installed, and that speech recognition is installed. (attached picture 2)

two sources i found said to go into advanced options in the speech recognition settings. there is no advanced settings option in the speech recognition tab of the settings in modern versions of windows home. after some time, i realized that if you open the legacy version of the speech resolution control panel, this option is available.

the language setting in this control panel is set to "English (US)"

just to cross our t's and dot our i's, i have verified that the microphone i am using is connected, set as the input device for speech input, working, not muted, and has its volume in the ideal range.

could you please help me enable this functionality? i have reached a dead end and have spent far too much of my work day trying to troubleshoot this.

thank you in advance!

system info:

Windows 10 Home

Build 19041.804

device: Alienware Aurora R9 with Intel Core i7-97000 @ 3.00GHz, 16.0 GB RAM

28a5e65d-a6a3-4ed0-b667-cecf0eae0ae5?upload=true.jpg887d507a-2110-426a-84cc-28033ae3a86f?upload=true.jpg

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom