Windows 10 updates change drivers to ones that do not work

D

DennisWUrban

Is there a way to update Windows 10 WITHOUT having that Windows update change drivers?

I realize that starting with 1909 and going forward, Microsoft tried to solve an issue with drivers via the updates (it is in documentation concerning 1909 on). But this created multiple problems for people with older systems that were running fine, but probably running drivers that were not on the current 3rd party list contained in Microsoft updates. It is not important to delve into system specifics since this change affects many systems in different ways. I had the latest BIOS and drivers before updating.

In my case, I tried updating from 1809 to 1909, and again with 1809 to 20H2, both via the Media Creation Tool. The update completed and the PC rebooted. I even had the Group Policy Editor set to keep my correct drivers (drivers that were of vintage CY2018) for my video and RealTec audio. However, upon both updates, those drivers were replaced with obsolete antique Microsoft generic PnP drivers from CY2006 that do not work. Audio, there was no sound. Video got reduced from two (one extended) monitors of 1920x1080 to 1024x768 (recommended) but best possible 1280x1024. And these powerful updates refused to allow me to restore the correct and much more recent drivers (albeit, 3rd party). Although I am not certain, I feel that if I could only retain the modern correct drivers (or reinstall them), those updates would otherwise be successful.

In both cases I had to revert back to 1809. I reported the issue via the Feedback Hub app at the Start Menu last time, but heard nothing and have just discovered the issue remains with 20H2.

So my question: is there a way to update beyond Windows 10 1809 and keep the most recent 3rd party drivers that I know to work for my hardware?

Continue reading...