Bitlocker, on its own and without my request, encrypted my iSCSI Synology 4TB Volume - Falsely requested reboot to "fix drive problems..."

M

MitchManCdn

[Symptoms]
I had been using my iSCSI volume with my desktop PC just fine for about a week. I had copied data to and from it via 10-GbE. I also later connected to it via an alternate network port of my Synology 1-GbE, with my MS Surface Pro without any issues.. I KNOW not to access the SAME data at the SAME time with two different systems, and did NOT.

I didn't copy data TO it, but copied some data from the iSCSI volume, to my Surface Pro and performed no other tasks. I HAD noticed that on several occasions my Win10 Pro desktop computer was asking me to "restart so a drive / volume could be repaired" (it did not specify WHICH volume or what repairs were necessary).

I have 3 internal NVMe, i have an internal RAID5 NVMe PCI card, 2 USB3 connected RAID5 9TB and 12TB volumes AND the iSCSI of my Synology connected. Because I wasn't HAVING any problems with my computer OR any function of it, I ignored the MS notification about wanting to "Restart to Repair...". Eventually I was done working on various tasks / projects and decided to restart JUST to see what it was that Windows was thinking it needed to repair. The reboot initially went ok but when my video signal came back, I had a real-time update of repairs in progress of a volume with a VERY long identifier name (i.e. nothing I recognized as a typical volume or drive within my system)... this "Repair" went on for about 45 minutes, and this system is FAST... before it finally finished and brought me to the typical log-in screen. I logged-in and NOW my iSCSI volume was LOCKED by Bitlocker(!!!!!) I NEVER use Bitlocker for ANYTHING, nor would I EVER. If I click on my iSCSI volume Win10 wants my 40 digit encryption key to allow access to the volume(!) There is no locally stored Bitlocker encryption key, I checked.

I tried a few things but NONE of this makes sense. Win10 did this on it's own, I have NO idea how to remedy the issue and my nearly 4TB iSCSI volume is locked. I checked to see what would happen by trying to access it once again with my MS Surface Pro and it NOW tells me the Volume is Connected, but unreadable or corrupted (not locked or encrypted) .... but inaccessible none the less.

[Steps to Reproduce]
Rebooting my desktop PC didn't change the lock status... as I was hoping this was a glitch that MIGHT be cured with a reboot... Win10 perhaps realizing the error it had committed. No luck. I don't KNOWINGLY use Bitlocker on my MS Surface Pro but DID read somewhere that it MIGHT be enabled system-wide on these portable devices... I just bought it last month, so I'm kind of NEW to what features it might have that are UNIQUE. Both my PC systems are logged into, registered to the same MS account, and syncing account info... so that's neither a problem OR solution :-(

[Error Messages]
I've looked at the Bitlocker control panel on both of my systems and it is NOT in use on my desktop Win10 Pro system, but somewhat appears like it might be auto-enabled on my MS Surface Pro.. as I was able to "view" a Bitlocker Encryption Key it maintains.... it's only 30 characters however AND it's alpha-numeric. I haven't tried to use this 30 character code to unlock the iSCSI volume access from my Desktop system yet BUT I DID notice that what potential passwords I DID try, it ONLY allowed me Numeric Entry, no alphabetical characters seemed to be allowed. I REALLY want to use iSCSI for all of the benefits it has over regular file system volume mgmt... but this problem has me REALLY worried about future data loss. Please HELP!!! I've had iSCSI volumes previously and NEVER had this happen before.
A search of MS help reveals issues like this, but not specifically with NAS or iSCSI, going back to 2016... with no solution or answer given in ANY case... they're ALL just "archived discussions".

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom