Desktop not connecting to new modem

S

StacyP.

Hello. I just got a new modem for my home wifi. All my other devices (laptop, roku, tablet, phones, etc) connect to the wifi without a problem. Our desktop doesn't want to work with the new modem. My network & internet settings say that I'm connected but that there is "no internet, secured". When I called Spectrum the first time, I was told it had to be a problem with my firewall or antivirus preventing a connection and that they couldn't help me. I spent the rest of the night googling my problem, trying to fix everything. I'm ok on a computer but not an expert by any means. I've done troubleshooting for the problem...it says that "wifi doesn't have valid IP configuration". Today I called Spectrum again and told the guy what I had been told and what the troubleshooting told me. This guy told me, again, he couldn't help since it was a computer problem not a modem/wifi problem. The upside was that he said what he believes needs to be done. He said that I need to "update command prompts for the wifi on the computer" and "release and renew the IP Address". Problem is that I'm not sure how to do that. I'd rather not have to take my computer somewhere to get it to work since I'm not sure I have the extra $ for it at the moment. Luckily the other devices work but I need the desktop wifi working again. Can anyone help me?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom