Unable to access my user & desktop on my first hard drive

D

dockysan

Apologies if I use wrong phrasing in some places, I am not that great with computers but my dad is for the most part and he helped me insert a second hard drive which is how I ended up here.

So my first hard drive has been acting up lately, where my computer freezes after about 2 minutes after boot up so my dad suggested that I insert another hard drive and still have access to the previous drive's files so I can still do my college work, which did fix the problem for the most part.

I am no longer having the freezing issue on this new drive. When creating a user for the first time on this drive I input the same details for my user profile that I used for my previous hard drive's user and that went well, it transfered my user profile picture and desktop background, but then I ran into another problem.

When playing a game on the new drive I couldn't access my save file (this save file was created previously on the old drive), and even when opening the game from the old drive's directory it still wouldn't open the save for some reason. After these failures, I went to check if the save still opened on my old drive, so I booted it up and was met with a fatal error.

My user profile picture, desktop, and basically everything had been reset, and whenever I log in it gives me the error saying something along the lines of "Sorry we cannot log you in right now, try relogging to fix the issue". As you might be able to tell relogging did nothing, and I have no idea how to get my original desktop back. Nothing saves in this state, and I've tried to verify my Microsoft account again on the old drive yet to no avail. All of my files are still there I just can't access anything on the desktop in its proper state, for example Firefox always says the default welcome message whenever I open the software. I can access everything to an extent by booting in safe mode, but that's the only way I can access the desktop in its original state.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have tried many things to no avail.

TLDR: I am trying to get my PC user on both of my hard drives, but once upgrading to a second hard drive, the prominent user on my first drive stopped functioning properly and just gave me a logging in error message every time I tried to access it.

Continue reading...