Slow Boot Time on New Surface Book 3

S

SteveOgden2

I am disappointed to see how slow the boot up time is on my new Surface Book 3. I would not expect this on an i7 10th gen processor with 32gb ram and fast 1tb ssd.

For reference this is a fresh install of Win 10 on new Surface Book 3 and from power until login screen is about 25 seconds. On my old Surface Pro 4, also fresh install of Win 10 from power on until login screen is about 4 seconds. How can this be possible? The Pro 4 is an i5 processor with 8gb ram and slower SSD. The Surface Book 3 has all the latest updates installed and this problem was present before I installed any of my own applications. Also for reference, I had a new HP Spectre x360 14t notebook prior to buying the Surface Book 3 which I returned due to some issues with it. It had the same slow boot up and it even had a faster i7 11th gen processor running at twice the speed.

So I don't know what to make of this. It almost has to be a problem related to what windows is doing, or running, on newer systems. I can't believe that my 4 year old wimpy Pro 4 can boot in 4 seconds but my new Book 3 takes almost half a minute. I could boot Win 7 on one of my ancient desktops in as much time from a SATA .

I have tried most all of the recommendations listed here, with the exception of updating the graphics driver and reinstall. The latter of which I refuse to do because I did that on the HP I returned and it had zero impact to the boot time.

Anyone have any ideas? This seems to be an epidemic problem, seeing many people reporting the same problem with many suggestions but no solid resolutions.

Continue reading...