Connecting to two SSIDs simultaneously

S

ShahirAhang

Hello Community - I am experiencing something that I am unsure is an issue or Windows 10 networking working as intended. What I need to do is to connect to the Internet (home Wi-Fi network) using the onboard wireless NIC (Wi-Fi) and at the same time, connect to a hardware device which has its own SSID using an external USB wireless NIC (Wi-Fi 2). Please also note that the device does appear to run a DHCP server and assigns an IP address and subnet mask to the host but not a default gateway when connected.

I see both wireless NICs in Device Manager as well as Wi-Fi adapters. What happens is when I connect to home Wi-Fi using Wi-Fi (onboard Wi-Fi adapter), it connects and I'm connected to the Internet. When I click on Show available networks under Wi-Fi 2 (external USB Wi-Fi adapter) and select the advertised SSID from the hardware device, it connects to the device using Wi-Fi (not Wi-Fi 2) and disconnects from my home Wi-Fi SSID and thus no Internet access.

So my question is is it possible to connect to two SSIDs using two different wireless NICs simultaneously? I know I can do this using a single Wireless NIC and an ethernet connection or two (or more) different ethernet connections but unsure if this will work with two wireless networks given what I have experienced.

Shahir

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom