Docking computer changes monitor display

B

Brandon Vinson

Currently having the following issue on multiple Windows 10 devices in my organization for the past few months. I mainly see this on Surface Pro/Book models, but have also seen this on some Dell laptops. Please note that all devices are running on Windows 10 version 1909, and we check and update firmware monthly. All devices are currently up to date. Stations are set up with two external monitors and it is up to the user whether they wish to use the laptop screen as a third.

Two persistant issues are occuring with external monitors. The first is monitor order being arbitrarily changed when docking. This seems to happen most often after presenting to a Microsoft Wireless Display adapter, disconnecting from the device, and then docking. Monitors two and three will swap positions and the opposite will then be the "main display"

The second issue is more frequent. After docking, one or both external displays will be detected, but the user is unable to select anything other than "Disconnect this Display" from the settings menu. Choosing any other option will immediately set it back to "Disconnect this Display". The only work around we've discovered is to uninstall the Graphics Driver and let it reinstall, however the issue returns in a week or so.

I've scoured the forums, and tried all the normal checks. I've made sure that all updates are current for the computer, the docking station, and the OS. Power settings have been updated so screens don't go to sleep as long as there is power. As a test, one of the users had their entire setup replaced, new monitors, docking station, and computer, and within a week the issue returned.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom