Dell Monitor thinks it's an audio device

E

Evalion

Or in this case multiple audio devices.

image.png < image linked shows Sound control panel where multiple DELL audio devices are listed. However, the Monitor doesn't actually have any audio devices and it creates a new Dell display audio every time I plug the monitor in. How do I prune back all these fake audio devices, or generally stop them multiplying with reckless abandon?

I tried restarting my computer but it didn't work. I think this is an ongoing problem with my laptop or monitor because a few weeks ago I couldn't access brightness settings on my laptop or connect to an external monitor. In relation to this old problem I tried doing a repair upgrade, which didn't work, and then I tried to restore my display driver to an earlier version, which failed, and then I tried going to the hp website to get the driver from there and got hopelessly lost. So eventually I just factory reset my laptop. That fixed my brightness settings and I was able to connect to the monitor, but these multiple fake audio devices is a new problem that didn't exist before the reset. Before the reset my laptop would automatically connect to the (fake Dell monitor audio devices), but I could just switch back to the laptop speakers.

My laptop is specifically the HP Pavilion x360 - 14-ba090na running windows10, and my monitor is a DELL but otherwise a mystery to me because there are a lot of numbers and the words on the label are all in Russian.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom