Network Issues, System error 64

M

MichaelM_TTS

We have had an issue persisting for some time now during our transition to a new server. We have a shared folder on Server1 that is mapped upon login with a script. After adding the new server, we have had an issue where during login, the network path is not able to mapped as the S Drive. After waiting 3-5 minutes, you are able to map the folder either by signing out/in, manually mapping, or running a script we provided that will map it using the same script that runs during login. During this 3-5 minute waiting period, you are not able to navigate to the same path by typing it into explorer. Using the IP instead of the server name does tend to have better results but I have seen the same issue happen when setting the script to use the IP. This mostly began happening after trying to set up DFS for the share folder. We eventually took the DFS namespace out and this began to happen. I added a pause to the script to see what it would return when the mapping fails. The results are: "System error 64 has occurred. The specified network name is no longer available". Some days users will log in and it works and maps fine, others it doesnt. This happens to both static and DHCP workstations. All static and DHCP workstations have the Server2 set as their only DNS. The new server, Server2, is now the DNS and PDC. The router also only has server2 set as DNS. Server2 does not have a folder of the same name being shared. On Server2 DNS manager I can see Server1 as a forward and reverse with the correct IP. I feel like its DNS related but not sure where to start. There are no security errors on that servers event viewer. This morning, I logged into a users work station and saw that when the login script ran it gave the same system error 64 has occurred. the specified network name is no longer available. I was able to ping it with a -a and it returned the server name. I also did nslookup from the workstation and it came back correct. This is all while I am not able to map nor navigate to \\server\share. Few minutes later \\server\share was working.

I did a ping and tracert right after while it still would not connect.
Ping results:
Packets: sent=4 received =4 Lost =0
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, maximum = 0ms, average 0=ms

Tracert results:

Tracing route to server (ip)
1 1ms <1ms <1ms server.domain.ad

Tracecomplete

servers are win2016r2 and workstations are Win10

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom