backing up \users on crashed system

S

SlickRCBD

I have a system that refuses to boot to Windows 10, and I think I need to do a reinstall.
The advanced boot options is available, but it will not go into safe mode. I can however get the command line, and it recognizes both robocopy and xcopy.
Assume that C is the hard drive, and D is an external portable USB backup drive.
I've had bad luck doing "xcopy C:\users d:\backup\users /e /c /k /z" or "robocopy c:\users d:\backup\users /e /z /copyall /DCopy:DAT" due to the stuff in various \appdata subdirectories not wanting to copy. This has been the case since Windows XP. Heck, I haven't even tried with Windows 10 (so if it's changed since 8 I wouldn't know).

I'm having a brain fart, I know they taught me back in college (back when XP was new) a trick for this situation, but I'm pretty sure we tossed all my notes last year when I was helping mom clean up her basement on the principal that "if you haven't used them in 20 years, you're not going to use them".

Searching online, I keep finding 3rd party solutions, but the system is broken and I'm using the emergency command line tools before I do a complete reinstall. How do I save their data (because of course the user hasn't backed up anything.)

Sorry, helping family and I just can't recall the correct way to back up everything. Too spoiled by good backup software.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom