Windows settings and task manager not opening after driver updates

J

Joycet31

Hi,

A couple months ago my laptop was having issues that I resolved with a clean install with a usb. Two minor problems existed after the clean install: Windows Hello said compatible camera not found (although my webcam worked just fine) and my music sometimes went "BRRR". There were 5 drivers in the device manager with a yellow exclamation mark saying the drivers for this device are not installed, but no drivers could be found through the automatic search. Since everything else worked fine I didn't think much of it.

Then a couple weeks later, a couple random blue screens occurred saying "memory management". Then on Friday, my laptop would not start up at all without running into a blue screen that said "critical process died". I took it to a shop and they did a reinstall and backed up my stuff, but the same issues from after I did the clean install with the usb were present. The only new issue was that the touchscreen seemed to work at half-capacity.

As I was worried the driver errors were what caused the blue screens, I didn't want to make the same mistake by leaving them again. Using Dell SupportAssist, I installed 6 drivers that were recommended in the following order:

1. BIOS

2. Chipset

3. Wifi/bluetooth, mouse/keyboard/input, graphics card, SATA (all at once)

Only the graphics card one said it wasn't installed correctly, but upon running support assist again, it didn't show up as a recommended update.

After those 6, the same 5 drivers still had an exclamation mark, but a new chipset driver (virtual buttons) now showed up on supportassist so I installed that. After that, one of the drivers was fixed (the one that said unknown device) but the remaining 4 with an exclamation mark are still there:

PCI data acquisition and signalling process controller

PCI device

PCI memory controller

SM bus controller

And in addition, Windows settings and task manager won't open. So I'm thinking I should roll back one of the drivers I installed, but I don't know which one. Supportassist now says my system is up to date, so I also don't know what I should install to fix those 4 driver errors.

Any help would be appreciated!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom