New PC shows no available networks (except mobile hotspot)

P

Porcubear

I'm attempting to set up a new PC, running Windows 10 Home version 20H2 build 19042.867, however when I start it up and click on the wifi button it shows no available networks. If I turn on my mobile hotspot I can see and connect to that and all the built in troubleshooting tools say the network adapter is fine and don't flag up any other problems (other than "you aren't connected" or "you haven't chosen one of the available networks" if I run it while it's not connected to my hotspot). I've already done some pretty extensive troubleshooting:

- updated drivers using the Intel website. adapter is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168. current driver version is 19.51.33.1.

- updated Windows

- restarted the router

- services.msc shows all the services relating to the wlan/network that have been suggested in other threads are already running

- disabled and stopped IP Helper (also in services.msc) and restarted, no change so re-enabled it

- made sure network discovery is turned on

- confirmed location is correct

- in the properties of the network adapter under Advanced tab I have tried all different values for the 802.11a/b/g and 802.11n/ac Wireless Modes

- I have attempted to join the home wifi manually by typing in the SSID and password, it says it successfully added the network but hasn't connected to it and still does not show it as an available network (done this both for the standard network and the specifically 5Ghz)

- the expected wifi networks do not show in the command prompt when running netsh wlan show networks, nor do they show in the wifi menu from the lock screen

- ran several command line prompts as admin, eg netsh int ip reset, netsh winsock reset

- in MS Config changed startup selection to normal start up (was on selective startup) and restarted computer. at this point it briefly showed my home wifi network and I started connecting to it, but then it reported "cannot connect to this network" and it disappeared again.

- uninstalled the network adapter and restarted computer

I've probably missed a few as well. I went through the whole 16 pages of this thread and did basically everything with no change.

Obviously since it's brand new there's no VPNs or malware.

I'm on the other side of the house from the router so running ethernet would be impractical and I'd rather not spend up to $100 in local currency for a USB wifi adapter as someone else on that thread ended up doing, especially since I don't actually know that it would work.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom