Multiple NICs (3), static IP's, subnet access problem

A

AlLehmann

I have 3 NIC's on two different computers (completely different hardware/NICs)

Both have the same problem.

NIC1. 'Main Ethernet' - connected to ethernet and other computers via switch - static IP, subnet 192.168.1.*

NIC2. 'Cameras Ethernet' - connect to IP cameras - separate switch - static IP, subnet 192.168.3.*

NIC3. 'Panels Ethernet' - connect to IOT devices - separate switch - static IP, subnet 192.168.2.*, also non-IP access.

I can get everything to work in one fashion or another, but not all together.

NIC 1 works perfectly - general access to the internet and other devices always works.

NIC2 and NIC3 seem to be confused.

I can get NIC2 (cameras) working but not NIC3 (IOT) IP devices (The non-IP IOT device access works perfectly)

or

I can get NIC3 (IOT) fully working but not NIC2 (cameras).

It seems to be an IP setup problem.

I've set it all up using PowerShell initially. I set the names, static IP information, metric etc.

Everything looks fine here, even after the changes I made below.

Then I tried control panel->Adapter settings since PowerShell didn't seem to affect those settings.

NIC1 has a normal static setup: IP address, mask, gateway, DNS

NIC2 and NIC3 are set with static IP address, mask, blank gateway, blank DNS

Everything still look fine here and in PowerShell even after the changes below.

Once I've done either or both of the above the Windows 10 Settings App still doesn't reflect any of these changes.

It thinks both NIC2 and NIC3 are using DHCP.

I then tried to set a static IP address with the Windows 10 Settings App.

You can't leave the gateway or DNS fields empty, so I set them to the gateway and DNS of NIC1.

On the Windows Settings->Network Status page see NIC1 as 'Main Ethernet', NIC2 as 'Cameras Ethernet' and NIC3 as 'Panels Ethernet'

However, NIC2 and NIC3 will always have the same IP address.

If I change the IP of NIC2 or NIC3, the other NIC IP changes to match.

If I look at the Windows Settings->Network Ethernet page I see 'Main Ethernet', 'Unidentified Network' and 'Unidentified Network'

The two Unidentified Networks have correct (different) IP addresses!

This problem occurs on both PC's.

What can I try to fix this?

Thanks,

Al

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom