BSOD while updating to latest feature update

V

Vincent Casao

Hello Microsoft,

I bought my laptop last October 2020. It is an Asus Laptop with these general specs:

intel i3 10th Gen

512GB SSD

8GB Ram

Ever since I bought it, it remained in a Win10 Version 1909. When the version 2004 feature update was available on my laptop, I completed first all the cumulative updates and driver updates using the Windows Update Assistant. I never used any softwares or downloaded any updates just to force update my laptop. When the version 2004 update popped in the Windows Update Assistant, I decided to download and install it. During the download, my laptop froze for a second, and then BSOD showed. The stop code says the irql_not_less_or_equal. I'm not an advanced user or technician, but I looked in the internet for the possible reason and troubleshooting just to get rid of that error because everytime I'm doing something with my laptop, it just pops out. After all the troubleshooting I did didn't worked, I brought it to the shop where I bought it. They offered me an OS reflash. After 2 days, I picked it up. Then I worked on it, hoping BSOD will not come out. And fortunately, it didn't popped out.

But here's what happened now. I was kinda traumatized about what happened because it stressed me so much. So, I didn't updated it to version 2004. Then, 20H2 came. Yesterday, I tried to update my laptop for that version. It downloaded. But during installation, maybe about 90%, it returned and started again to the "Getting Started" and then installation proceeded again. About 90% of the installation, it froze for a second then BSOD again. This time, it showed a different code. The code was ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY. Then it restarted, booted then BSOD with the same code. Then repeated on the same loop. At the 3rd time, the Blue Terminal where I can access the Safe Mode popped out. I chose to boot my laptop on Safe Mode. I looked on the internet for the possible troubleshooting. From that, I run mdsched.exe. Then it boot to the blue terminal. During the scanning, it says "Hardware problem was detected...". After the scanning, it booted to my default display and showed the warning with "Your computer has a problem". From that, I realized that maybe a faulty RAM is the reason. Then, it BSOD again and says PFN_CORRUPT_LIST. I looked again on the internet for troubleshooting of that code. The internet said that many users reported that the BSOD disappeared after changing their RAM. So, I was convinced that it is caused by my RAM.

Do you think it is a factory defect? Or if it is a software-related issue, does it mean I have a corrupted OS? If so, what could be the possible reasons why I had a corrupted OS if the shop already reflashed a fresh OS?

Microsoft, any information that you can share would be a great help for me. I am so stressed about what happened to my laptop. I brought it to the shop today but there was no available technician so I need to return to the shop tomorrow. Such a hassle since I have classes and some works to do.

Any information would be a great help and tips also.

Thank you.

Continue reading...