Unable to access encrypted files

W

WoolaPanda

I previously encrypted some files back in 2018. Fast forward to about a week ago and I got a security message about a potential security threat from a plugin I previously used, and that re-installing windows was a recommended action. I was OK with this, since I've had a practice of resetting my PC every couple of years to keep everything from getting too bogged down anyway. I copied all of the items I wanted to keep, including the encrypted files, and did a clean installation of windows.

Now that I have a clean copy of windows, everytime I try to open the files I get errors about "You do not have permission to open this file". So I performed the actions mentioned here:

Error: 0x80071771, The Specified File Could Not Be Decrypted While Accessing A Video File On An External Hard Drive.

but nothing changed after performing the steps and restarting.

Then I restored my previous windows version using a full system image that was made around the same time the files were encrypted. I thought that if I restored that windows installation it would give me access again, but the error still occurs and I am locked out of the files. I also tried to see if I could access a copy of the files that might exist in the FileHistory backup, but windows keeps telling me to "reselect your file history drive" and will not bring up the stored file history even though I can still see the filehistory directory and content.

I'm running out of ideas, and was hoping that someone more knowledgeable might be able to help?

Continue reading...