Photos app - Indexing Onedrive photos is extremely slow and resource consuming

D

Djerro123

I have multiple devices (phone, tablet, laptops and a desktop) and they all sync their photo's to OneDrive. There are approximately 35.000 pictures and videos in that folder. On my laptop, I used the Photos app quite a bit to search for specific photos of people or text. That worked relatively well, I always had a feeling that by far not all photos were correctly tagged but I was impressed by how I could search for text and it would show me all pictures/screenshots/photos containing that text.

I had to re-install my laptop and now I am noticing that it takes a humungous amount of time to process pictures. I've read many topics on this and I already reset/removed/reinstalled the app and add-ons, to no avail. I also read comments like 'oeh that is a large set of pictures, it will just take some time' so I experimented. I left my laptop on for 12 hours with the Photos app on the foreground. I disabled sleep mode and prevented that my monitor would go to sleep. After 12 hours, it processed 61 photos, which boils down to 1 photo per 12 minutes roughly. Note that the Photo's app uses 80% of the CPU during that time.

At this rate, it will take roughly 9.5 months to process all items in my OneDrive folder.

The thing is, I cannot remember even having the Photo's app open that often (near not at all) before I started using it for the recognition feature and then it worked like a charm.

My question is: why is it so extremely slow, and what can I do to fix it? It has worked before but it is now unusable (and I am not not using my laptop for 9 months ;) )

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom