Windows 10 doesn't update

S

Skurski

The following is a list of what has transpired to date....Since I haven't had a reply I'll try again.... See the following.

Original Message

Other Devices - Drivers for this device are not installed

When I access Device Manager>Other devices there is a coprocessor listed with a yellow triangle . When I open the the properties for this coprocessor, the following message is present "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). There are no compatible drivers for this device. To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

I have tried uninstalling device, disabling device, updating driver and scanning for new hardware to no avail, multiple times. I am currently using Windows 10 Pro and have gone to Update & Security> Settings>Troubleshoot>Hardware and Devices, and ran that, also with the same result.

I keep getting messages that I need to update to Windows 10 version 1909 but after 2 weeks of daily trying to update the PC, it uninstalls after approximately 60% installed +/-.

It appears that I either have issues with my ASUS M3N72-D motherboard with an AMD Phenom ii X4 955 processor video hardware driver or another driver associated with hardware on the board. Does Microsoft updates include updates for this hardware? (Please check code.) I can not download drivers from ASUS or AMD because every time I try, I get sent to the Microsoft store. I can not get out of S mode, when I go to Update & Security>Settings>Activation there is no link to Microsoft Store. When I try to run an executable file downloaded for driver updates I receive the following message: "You are unable to switch out of S Mode on this version of Microsoft Store."

Please provide a patch that will update the drivers needed for version 1909 updates.

Original Reply
Hi Skurski. I'm XXX, awarded MVP for eleven years, Volunteer Moderator, and Independent Advisor here to help you until this is resolved.

If it's telling you that you cannot switch out of S mode by the normal method here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/445606... then go into Microsoft Store app, choose the Hub (three dots at top right) and then Downloads/Updates to see if you can Update the store as well as all apps at once. Then see if you can switch out of S mode.

If not then we need to get your version Upgraded. To do this I would manually upgrade to the latest version by creating the latest installation media from Media Creation Tool, follow the steps toward the bottom of the download page here in the section "Using the tool to create installation media:"

Open the media in Explorer, or double click the ISO file to Mount it, right click Setup to Run as Administrator. Steps here: How to do a Disk check of System drive in Windows 10 and interpret the logs - Your Windows Guide...

This saves your files, apps and most settings in place while upgrading to the latest version by the most stable method.

If any problems report back the verbatim error and number, then continue with these steps for overcoming Version Upgrade problems: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Most problems are also resolved by doing this gold standard Clean Install which should get you past all difficulties as it has millions of others who have followed the steps in this link and never come back to report another problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki... . So read it over and see if its something you want to learn to do.

Once you can switch out of S mode go to the PC or motherboard maker's Support Downloads web page to pull in all of the drivers which are newer or branded and not generic, comparing to those installed now in Device Manager. The most basic thing we need to learn to maintain a PC is how to keep the latest manufacturer's drivers current. Windows drivers are rarely enough.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you will wait to rate my post, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Over 100,000 helped in forums in 10 years
I do not quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

I will walk you through any steps and will not let you fail.

After Being Provided Steps to Follow I replied as follows:

Skurski Replied on March 11, 2021
Reply In reply to XXX's post on March 9, 2021
I performed the steps and upon installing the Media Creation Tool, my PC went into an automatic Windows update.

To make a long story short, after attempting to install Windows Pro the following message appeared:" We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10 0xC1900101- 0x30018

The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation.

Reply Edit

SK

Skurski Replied on March 15, 2021
What's the next step based on the message received?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom