BSOD on boot (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION)

D

dcerra96

Hi all,

I'm new to this community, I've read a lot of things but in the end today I decided to register because I tried everything and I really don't know what to do anymore.

This is my story: I got a new laptop on September 2020, it is an Asus VivoBook X571LH, and everything was fine for the first couple of weeks or so. At some point, my laptop started to do BSOD on boot (I want to specify that it does not happen everytime at every boot but randomly, in the sense that I was not able and still I'm not able to understand the cause of it, unfortunately). When it happens, it is like that: I power on from the button, my keyboard's leds will turn on and also my screen will switch from off to all black (I don't know how to explain it, I mean that you can see it switched on but it's just all black). This lasts for 15 to 20 seconds (which is very strange and unusual, because my laptop boots in like 6/7 seconds everytime and immediately shows an Asus logo on a black screen when booting) and at the end it comes the BSOD with the error code DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. At this point, the BSOD lasts for another 15 to 20 seconds and then the system reboot automatically and the laptop turns on normally and without any problem.

I've read a lot on the internet:

• Some said it is an hardware problem: I tried a lot of softwares, tested in detail SSD, RAM, stress tested and everything, no problems detected at all.
  • Some said it is a peripheral problem: I should boot without any peripheral connected to the laptop (a lot of times I use my laptop as a desktop, so I turn it off and leave it on my desk for the next day, with headphone jack, USB mouse, or some other thing connected). Tried this as well, BSOD happens also without any peripheral.
  • Some said it is a driver problem: I upgraded at latest stable version every driver, nothing changed.
  • Some said it is a Windows problem: I reinstalled a clean version of it by myself, nothing changed. I contacted also windows support, and with some screen sharing software the support guy reinstalled a clean version himself, nothing changed.
  • I contacted ASUS support via email, they told me the same things: first thing they told me to upgrade drivers, after I showed them that I already did it they told me to upgrade BIOS, with a specific version that they attached me via email. I installed that BIOS, tried for some days, nothing changed. After some days of email discussions, they finally decided to take my laptop back for repairing it, my warranty is until September 2022. I sent it to them on the first days of November 2020, the laptop returned to my place on November 18th and there was a receipt that said that the only hardware changes was the battery, they replaced it with a new one. They reinstalled also a clean version of Windows, without keeping any of my files, the laptop seemed fresh new.

It seemed that the problem was solved, I did not see any BSOD for almost 5 months straight. Unfortunately, the exact same type of BSOD happened again on March 13th. And, after that, another one on March 17th and another one earlier today, March 19th.

I hope you can help me, today I know some more things that could be useful:

1. My windows update history tells me that I've successfully installed Windows 10, 20H2 version on March 12th. So, it is safe to assume that it related to that? I've never had problems for 5 months, i repeat.
  2. This is what my event viewer shows when the BSOD happens: the error is "Critical", the source is "Kernel-Power", and the info says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
    This is the XML of it

- <Event xmlns=" ">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>8</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-03-19T09:07:39.3614411Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2513</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DAVIDE</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">307</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">6</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">13</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
    <Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

3. I don't know if that critical error is really the cause of the BSOD or if it shows just what it does when BSOD occurs (reboot the system). Thanks to the Event Viewer I can see that each of the 3 times when BSOD occurred, I have the same exact Windows Logs. I will post just one of them, it is the same for the other 2 occurrences. After making sure that Volume C is healthy (Event ID 98), there is always an error (not critical) with event ID 161, caused by "volmgr" that says "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation." This is a screen of my event viewer.

0d455b8c-f79a-43db-8e36-c5d293b101a9?upload=true.png

This is the XML of it:

- <Event xmlns=" ">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="volmgr" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">161</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-03-19T09:07:39.1085015Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2510</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="320" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DAVIDE</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>\Device\HarddiskVolume4</Data>
    <Binary>000000000100000000000000A10004C000000400010000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

I hope you can help me, and sorry for my english :)

Continue reading...