Windows freezing for no reason.

H

Hookens

Greetings,

Few weeks ago I was having constant memory-related blue screens, which I finally managed to fix (I have a strong feeling it was the automatically installed Realtek driver, as I got a memory_management bsod (common error code I was getting in the previous windows install) right after installing it. I have had no blue screens since I uninstalled it, except now I'm stuck with the freezes. I've had this issue also in my previous install and the one before (they are all on different drives, and the oldest being on a completely different machine)

Here's what you should know:

• It is not caused by overheating, I monitored the temperatures until it froze and noticed nothing abnormal.
  • It is not caused by 100% disk usage, I was monitoring that aswell with task manager at the same time.
  • There's a very strong chance it is not caused by a demand of power greater than what the power supply can, well, supply. I say "very strong chance" because technically speaking, according to pcpartpicker my rig is using 429W of my 650W capacity, however I can't fully confirm this, especially if there are sudden power consumption peaks.

It only seems to happen when there is very little usage of my resources, like if I'm downloading something, browsing around, writing a question to Microsoft answers (it happened while I was writing this). It never happens if I'm using a remote desktop or playing a game. I should also mention that there often are no event logs leading to the freeze (5 to 8 minutes prior (this includes the quite frequent audit logs)) and no event log about the freeze.

My components, bought during summer/autumn 2020:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 CL16 (2x16GB)

Storage:

• Crucial MX500 1TB SSD (Current Windows installation, has its own partition of 150GB.)
  • Western Digital Blue 1TB SSD
  • Kingston A1000 480GB M.2-2280

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX5700XT Triple Dissipation

Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze

I am not running any overclock.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom