Shortcuts for system activities not working in Start Menu

G

giiancarlo

When I open start menu and type in system functions, they don't work.

For example,

I type in "Windows Update" in the search field and the following choices do not work

Windows Update Settings

Check for updates

View your Update History

Advanced Update Options

etc.

If I type in Control Panel or gpedit.msc, they work.

When I open the Start Menu and click the gear box, Settings opens. From Settings, Update & Security opens. But, there is no Check for Updates button. There is message that says Updates Available Last checked 3/12/2021 1:18PM. Under that, KB2267602 and KB5000808 are available. I think KB 5000808 was a problematic update for my Windows 10 1909? Resulting in blue screen when printing to a Kyocera printer? A known issue?

When (KB5000808??) was first installed. I did a system restore. The above loss of shortcuts happened after the system restore. I then installed the bluescreen fix, kb5001566. That still doesn't fix the loss of windows update shortcuts in the start menu and the loss of Check for Updates button in Windows Update screen (accessed from the gearbox, then Settings.)

What to do?

-----

Further to the above, with the above mentioned Updates Available, Last Checked 3/12/2021, when I "Retry", KB2267602 says Pending Download. KB5000808 says "We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. It is stilldoesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet." By this post, I demonstrate that I am connected to the Internet. The "Retry" choice appears again.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom