Install a clean version of Windows 10 after boot loop failure

R

RickardL2

My mother has an Asus Transformer Book Flip TP500L that is in my hands now to repair it.

With the last Windows 10 update (not sure which version) something broke completly. It got stuck on a automatic diagnostic and repair loop which of course failed everytime. I tried every possible options in the troubleshooting section and lots of googling and following all the suggestions. No luck.

The laptop shut down during the night and next day the computer couldnt even find a boot record. I got a black screen with Windows Boot Manager and the message "Windows failed to start" and "The Boot Configuration Data on your PC is missing or contains errors".

With a downloaded Win 10 on usb i could boot up but no repairs or system recovery was possible. But i could get a shell with Shift+F10 or click launch command line.

With diskpart i could list volumes etc. There i could see two volumes with RAW filesystem. One small one, a few houndred MB and a bigger one with some GB. I guess these are for boot and something else.

Lucky i could save documents by using the xcopy to external ssd.

At this point i see no other options than completly reinstall Windows with a fresh new copy of Windows.

Now i don't know ... The laptop came with Windows 8.1. Later it got a free update to Windows 10. I have no idea if it was a single language install (swedish) or an english(uk or usa)/multilanguage. On my USB-stick it's currently a single language (swedish), i think it might be a swedish installation on the laptop. Does this actually matter? Can i tell the language by looking on a barcode on surface or something?

And how can i know what the product key or license of this the laptop, a barcode on the the surface maybe?

Do i have to install Windows 8.1 first or can i install Windows 10 directly with the original 8.1 key/license? Does Windows find the key/license automaticly?

Thanks!

Continue reading...