"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." Error

S

Space Trace

I just removed an old HDD from a laptop and put in an empty 120GB SSD (wanted a full, clean install). Using the setup media I had handy on a USB, I tried to boot using the USB and install to the SSD, but I always get the error:

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."

It also mentions setup logs, but I looked everywhere, on both the USB and the SSD, and I couldn't find a single log file anywhere, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is. I've installed Windows 10 from the same USB numerous times without a single issue, so I'm not quite sure why this is happening now.

The SSD:

• Is formatted to NTFS (using the quick option)
  • Only has one partition which takes up the entire drive and said partition is marked as Primary. It doesn't have a system, page file, or recovery partitions.
  • Has a mount point
  • Is GPT
  • Was cleaned multiple times using diskpart
  • Has absolutely nothing on it

Now, I have tried multiple different ways of fixing it, including this YouTube video mentioned in another thread. The YouTube method worked up until I went to get rid of the partition with the Windows installer files. Attempting to remove the partition ruined the entire installation, putting me back at square one.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5548 and the SSD is an Inland Professional.

Any help and pointers are greatly appreciated!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom