Sudden HEVC / H265 failure with Windows 10

M

MaxDarren

My 2016 production Windows 10 Pro (Version 20H2) computer suddenly stopped playing HEVC videos properly. I need this feature in my computer because of my work and entertainment purposes (other that it should just work).

It presented this behavior about two weeks ago. Before that, it was working fine. I did not install anything that I know of which would interfere with this.

What happens:

• MPV player just freezes the video (after some time playing), audio continues playing fine. Player is unresponsive and needs to be terminated.
  • VLC Player freezes the video (after some time playing), audio continues playing fine. VLC player doesn't become unresponsive.

What I tried:

• Updating integrated graphics card driver (Intel® HD Graphics 530, driver version 27.20.100.9316).
  • Updating dedicated graphics card driver (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, driver version 461.92).
  • Installed K-Lite Codec Pack.
  • Trying different players (mentioned above).
  • Tried with browsers, couldn't play due to limited browser codec support (this is normal).
  • Disabling hardware decoding (VLC) seems to bypass the problem, but an Nvidia 1060 should be able to hardware decode a h265 video (as it was before).

I use HEVC videos regularly, I am certain this problem didn't exist before, and I am out of options, hoping this community could give me a direction.

Thanks for your time.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom