Strange issue with computer freezing at random.

A

Ash Bro

So this is a strange issue that I've been dealing with over the past month or two.

Basically, the pc will run fine, absolutely nothing wrong, but then at some point, it will freeze, but it's not like it gets stuck on a specific thing, just at some point, it will freeze, keyboard and mouse will not work, however certain applications will work up to a point (Say if I'm playing a YouTube video, it'll keep playing for maybe another 10/15 seconds, the video stops, but the audio plays fine. Another example is discord and their animated emotes, if the PC 'freezes' while my mouse is hovered over it, the emote will continue to play and loop over and over)

What makes this more difficult is that I can't pinpoint what causes this issue, when it happens, there is no warning or indication, I've checked the Event Viewer logs but nothing is shown in there. I've checked the performance monitor, task manager, and other tools, but the problem is, with it being so random, it's a bit of a pain having it all open 24/7 while wanting to do personal stuff.

I've looked online and asked my tech-y friends and family for support and ideas, including doing stuff sfc scannow in command prompt, running my anti-virus (and allowing windows defender to scan my device), updated Windows (which may have mitigated this issue for a few days but its started happening again), and other stuff that I admittedly have forgotten.

While it's not crippling to my daily use of my computer, it would save the inconvenience of having to hard reboot when it happens, it can happen multiple times a day, or non at all, as far as I can tell, it's not a hardware issue, it's still a relatively new computer (I had received it in late 2019) and usually I'd expect this sort of thing to happen when doing something specific (like running an intensive application/game, or just leaving it on for days straight, neither of which I really do, I can have absolutely nothing open and it'll still happen)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, and if any info is needed I can try my best to supply.

Continue reading...